The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, July 15, 2021

April 11 - 14, 1979

 

Wednesday, April 11, 1979

 

The sun came up this morning. It is a beautiful site. I did a wash. Betty, Bill and I and Zak went to Portland. Zak went for his teeth. Bill went to take the aerial control down. We stopped at Dorothea’s. She went with us. I worked on scraps and watched the 2 soap operas.

 

 

 

Thursday, April 12, 1979 Kimberly Allie Boutilier Horton 13 years today

 

I did some washing. Then I got ready and went to town with Susan and Delores. We got our shopping done then we came home. I done a lot of odds and end jobs and got ready for Kimberly to come up for supper. Her 13th birthday.

 

 

 

Friday, April 13, 1979 fair

 

Will this has been Good Friday and it was fair. Some light clouds, quite mild. I did a dite of washing and a big ironing I washed the windows, cleaned up the house. I was going to work on my scraps is PM by Bill Walker came and a distant cousin, Stanley Whitney on my father’s side. After they went I did a few scraps and then I got to watch one program. Bill working on Joy’s cabinet. Billie brought home a very nice ham for dinner Sunday. Carmen up here for supper.

 

 

 

Saturday, April 14, 1979

 

A cloudy day until late in PM, it began to snow and rain. I done up my regular work. Done a dite of cooking then I went to Norway with Carmen and Betty. They went to get some new clothes for Carmen to wear on her trip to New York with the AFS students (Air Field Students). I came home, done rest of my cooking. Washed floors, got supper etc. etc. Billie went with Wesley down country to get some beef cattle, he couldn’t find any. Billie too is looking for a small family cow, Guernsey or Jersey. I worked on my scraps.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment