The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, July 31, 2021

June 10 - 13, 1979

 

Sunday, June 10, 1979

 

Well it is been hazy with the sun shining through the haze. Very hot and humid. I done up the regular work. Buddy came over to check the tractor and he set up the phone. Billie finished his pasture down in the edge of the woods. The cows can go down there now. Bill didn’t do anything today. Kim called, Zak and Joy. Garden stuff is up, the small things.

 

 

 

Monday, June 11, 1979 a very nice hot day

 

I did a wash. I cooked steak outside for supper. Billie and Bill put the roof on back porch. We put the rest of the screens, porch furniture etc. I hit a vein in my leg, it bled very hard.

 

 

 

Tuesday, June 12, 1979

 

Was kind of a cloudy cold day until late PM. I did an ironing. Bill and I went to Norway, in a.m. called at Betty’s a minute.

 

 

 

Wednesday, June 13, 1979

 

Very nice day, it was quite windy and on the cool side. I did a big wash. Bill and I went up to Wade Kimball’s to see a Durham steer. Saltman called and brought some refrigerators for Bill to paint.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment