The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, July 27, 2021

May 26 - 28, 1979

Saturday, May 26, 1979 A WEE BIT OF SUN LATE IN PM, KIM TO WORK

 

Well another one of those miserable dreary rainy days. I was busy all day. I done regular work. I cleaned the refrigerator on porch. I washed windows, floors, cooked, cleaned some more pots and pans etc. Billie went to Norway this morning. His tractor came back today with the new mowing machine. Wes and his girl Julie called. Betty dropped in a minute. Zak came up and got some milk. Carmen came up for rolls. Betty and girls house been very busy at the shelter all day. Carmen was at the school all day, it was a show put on by the AFS to get money for next year’s program. Tonight KIM went to work on her first job. I hope she does well and enjoys. She is smart.

 

 

 

Sunday, May 27, 1979 HORSES AND HEIFER OUT, Flicka, Angel and heifer all got out early this morning. Went to the 4 corners

 

Well, after over a week of rain except one day it was better today. There was breaks in the cloud, no rain until dark. The clouds would go it would clear for a long time at times and we would see sunshine and blue skies. Then big black clouds again. All in all a quite nice day after all the rainy days. I done up my work, made cupcakes for the shelter sale. Went to the Cemetery with Esther and Fern. We got the flowers all down. The cemeteries look nice. Came home, Fern stayed for lunch and watched the ballgame. Cliff came and he watched it to and Bill. Then they left after the game. I got supper and went to the cemeteries with Betty, Joy, Zak and the girls seen C and K. They did quite well at the shelter open house. One thing it was a good day for them. The horses and heifer was so pretty coming up the road.

 

 

 

Monday, May 28, 1979 RAIN

 

Back to rain this morning. Heavy rain all day. Well I done up regular work and picked over some things I had. Billie out riding around. The house is getting all smoke and nasty again. It makes me sick. Carmen came up for a minute up. Also Es came after milk after supper.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment