The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, July 12, 2021

March 31 - April 3, 1979

Saturday, March 31, 1979

 

Another miserable day, rain, cloudy and foggy. I baked some beans and washed the floor and took a bath. Read a little of the Bridgton news. Kim up in PM, she made some cabbage salad. Over to Joy’s in evening to Kathy’s party. Kim, Betty and I. Kim stayed all night. Very nice party. Carmen to the show Pippin  at the High School with the Bracketts. Buddy left for Florida this morning. Bill worked on the boat. Billie away over to Norway and around. Got milk at Millets today.

 

 

 

Sunday, April 1, 1979

 

Well even the first day of the month and a miserable one. Cloudy, a shower or two. Fern came up in early PM for afternoon and evening. I had pea soup. Bill worked on the boat.

 

April Fools!


 

 

 

 

Monday, April 2, 1979

 

A miserable day. I went down to Betty’s, she went to New Hampshire for dog food supply. I washed her windows and done a few cleaning jobs. Got to go back tomorrow to finish cleaning her house. Carmen is excited, she is going to New York on the AFS. I’m so glad for her, she is very excited about it.

 

 

 

Tuesday, April 3, 1979 $242.30 $106.30 HAIR SET

 

Well another miserable day, it was mostly cloudy. A very faint appearance of the sun a few minutes. I went down to Betty’s and Fern was there. She washed, Betty and I cleaned the house. In PM Joy helped and Debbie painted the head of the bed. Bill worked on the boat.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment