The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, July 14, 2021

April 8 - 10, 1979 Celebrating Kim's 13th Birthday

 

Sunday, April 8, 1979 Kim’s Birthday Celebrated, NEW BIKE

 

A beautiful day. Well this is a nice day for a change. Sunny, still on the raw cold side. I got my wash done and it dried good. Done up the regular work. Dorothea and Dave came about 11:30. We went down and got Fern and went down and got ready for Kim’s birthday party. She got a brand-new 10 speed bike. Also many other nice gifts. She was very pleased. Carmen and Jenny went to New Hampshire with the AFS, they went there for the party. A party at Danny Hayes’s.  Joy’s girls, Joy, Susan and children us, Dorothea Dave and the Hortons.

 
















 

 

 

 

Monday, April 9, 1979

 

Well it has been a miserable day. Cloudy, snow and rain and tonight the snow is making and so far we have about 3 inches (10 PM). It is now sleeting. I done my regular work, went down to Betty’s a little while. I got rest of the B News read today, made a couple pies. Tonight the AFS all have gone to the movies. There is to be a party afterwards. Carmen, Zenya and their guest did not go. Jeff has a job at the RadioShack at the Rainbow Mall. I’m so pleased.

 

 

 

Tuesday, April 10, 1979

 

Well it is been a cloudy day, not too warm. The ground was all white from the snow storm of last night and yesterday. Well  Jenny left this morning. They all had such a good time the 5 days they were here. I’m glad Carmen has joined in and enjoyed the good time. I hope Carmen will always be the good girl she is now and trustful. She is very precious to me and all the family. Also the other ones. Sun came out last thing this afternoon.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment