The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, July 22, 2021

May 7 -10, 1979

 

Monday, May 7, 1979

 

A beautiful day. Mild and sunny. I got my work done up, did a wash. Down to Betty’s, Fern, Es and me there. We got the house cleaned up than cleaned her living room and back porch. The house looks so very nice. Came home, got supper. Bill gone most all day. A bad forest fire on the Sweden Road also Main’s Mill burned.

 

 

 

Tuesday, May 8, 1979 nice and warm

 

A quite nice day. I done up my work, down to Betty’s about 9 AM. Es and Fern too. We cleaned the kitchen today. It looks very good. It is such a help having Fern and Esther. I picked some dandelions tonight, got them ready for supper tomorrow night. Bill and Billie down to Walt’s tonight. They got out some manure.

 

 

 

Wednesday, May 9, 1979 HOT HOT 80S AND 90S, BETTY ALL DONE CLEANING, NEW COW

 

Done up my work, made a pie. Down to Betty’s at about 8:30. We cleaned the whole house and then cleaned the utility room and then she done the barn. It is all done. Now I get to start mine. Betty said she would help. Bill put up the new fan over the stove. He got the boat ready to paint on the outside. Billie’s new cow came tonight from Allen Renfrue in Casco. A Rhône Durham.

 

 

 

Thursday, May 10, 1979 Hot

 

Not quite as hot today as yesterday. My first day at home. I did a big wash and went to town. I did a dite of cleaning. In evening Es, Fern and Cliff came up. Esther and I got dandelions at Betty’s. They stayed for a visit. After they went home I picked those greens over. I didn’t get them done till midnight. Bill doing odds and end jobs. The cow gave a good lot of milk tonight. Billie having bowel trouble.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment