The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, July 28, 2021

May 29 - June 1, 1979

 

Tuesday, May 29, 1979 rain and enough sun to dry clothes

 

Well it cleared and I did my washing. I made pies etc. It seemed very good to see the sun. Bill still working on the boat. Finishing touches etc.

 

 

 

Wednesday, May 30, 1979 rain, fencepost

 

I done up my work. I did the ironing. It has been another mostly rainy day. Betty and I went down to Windham and got fencepost. Came home, watched TV programs. Got supper. The man came at about suppertime and fixed the refrigerator on the porch. Got ready, went down to Fern’s to the come and see party. To see the new rugs and curtains. It looks very nice. I’m glad she has it.

 

 

 

Thursday, May 31, 1979

 

Not too good day. It was showery. It didn’t rain all day. I done up my work. Susan came over, she took Esther, Delores and me to town. Done the shopping. Came home, got supper. Dorothea came up in the evening. She fixed Billie’s shirts. We called at Fern’s. She made many stops on the way up.

 

Auntie

 

 

 

Friday, June 1, 1979 $242.30 $106.30

 

Well it broke away some today, not too bad a day. I washed windows and did a big wash. After it got cleared away. I changed all beds. I got my work done up, but went down to Betty’s to help her so she could get her house cleaned up. She took Fern, Delores and me to town to cash the checks.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment