The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, July 29, 2021

June 2 - 5, 1979

 

Saturday, June 2, 1979 NICE DAY

 

A real nice day, sunny and it was warm. I have been busy all day. Zak watched TV until 2 PM. I cooked, washed floors, dusted, ironed etc. In late PM I walked down into the woods where they were working. Zak went home in PM. Betty up to the shelter, Carmen helped her. Bill and Billie worked down in the woods getting it ready to put up a fence so the cows can go down there when it is hot. Today they took our steer down to Walt’s to help eat the grass.

 

 

 

Sunday, June 3, 1979 mild

 

It was quite cloudy when we got up but it cleared some, not a real clear sunny day. It was fair. Some haze. I done up regular work. I did some figuring. Billie worked down in the pasture. Bill didn’t do anything today, in PM he watched TV show and listen to the ballgame on TV. Kim called. Zak and Carmen at different times. Betty and kids worked at the shelter.

 

 

 

Monday, June 4, 1979 PLANTED

 

Cloudy when we got up about 10. It cleared off. I did my washing. I picked some dandelions, cooked a ham. Got ready and went with Betty, Fern, Esther and Susan and Fern to Zak’s school concert. It was very good. He looks so nice all dressed up. Tonight they planted the garden. Betty and Walt also did theirs.

 

 

 

Tuesday, June 5, 1979 Planted

 

Foggy when got up this morning. I done up my work after it cleared off. I did a big wash, mittens, scarfs, sweaters etc. To be put away for the summer. I made a pie. Did my other ironing. I cultivated my flower gardens. Bill didn’t do much today. It cleared and was such a very nice day. Clothes all dried good.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment