The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, June 30, 2021

February 10 - 13, 1979

 

Saturday, February 10, 1979

 

A very cold day. Some wind. I have been very busy all day. Cooked, cleaned up the house, changed the beds. Dorothea and David came. Billie went with Butch (not Lawrence anymore) down country for cattle. Bill hasn’t been doing anything. It has been a nice day but the wind makes it very cold. It blew nearly all last night. Not so much today. Betty feels better, not so much pain. It is hard not to sit down. All she can do is lie down or stand. Billie’s arm is better he says.

 

 

 

Sunday, February 11, 1970 910 below

 

It was very cold this morning. The wind blowing so awful hard. Not much going on today. I wrote to Esther. Billie and I called at Fern’s. Also went down to see how Betty was. Her back still lame and painful. Kim and Zak playing games, Carmen working on her year paper.

 

 

 

Monday, February 12, 1979 Billie back on the summer time this morning to work at 7 instead of 8

 

Very cold, 15 below here, 30 below in town. I did my wash. Bill and Ilan gone to town to get something for the car. They got it to running. I called at Betty’s a little while. A very cold spell everywhere. Billie back on the summer time at work this morning.

 

 

 

Tuesday, February 13, 1979

 

Only 5 below this morning. We are having an awful cold cold spell. The moon is bright at night, it is beautiful. I love that moon. I went down to Betty’s. I done her regular work. Washed. She and Carmen went to the Dr. Betty’s hip was out again. He put a pad in Carmen’s shoe, put her on a diet. Bill been busy all day getting car fixed, a sticker etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment