The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, June 29, 2021

February 6 - 9, 1979

 

Tuesday, February 6, 1979

 

A beautiful day, but very windy and cold. I went down to help Betty today. Her back is very painful. I done her regular work and helped to get her supper started.

 

 

 

Wednesday, February 7, 1979

 

It has been kind of a nice day. I went to town early. Came home. Bill went fishing with Ilan. I washed windows, cooked a fowl. Made bread and an Angel Cake Delight. Prepared supper. Watched my 2 programs. Bill went up and got Dawn about 4 PM. She came for supper. We had a nice afternoon and Dawn enjoy the supper very much. Betty was quite good most all day but in late afternoon her back wasn’t very good. Carmen had to go to school in evening for a special program.

 

 

 

Thursday, February 8, 1979

 

A quite nice day. I went down to Betty’s to help her do her work. Then Joy took Delores and I or me to town. Betty’s back not very good. I had a hamburger delicious for supper, very good. I watched my 2 programs in PM.

 

 

 

Friday, February 9, 1979

 

A nice day but quite windy. I did a dite of washing. Done my regular work. Went down to Betty’s. I cleaned up her whole house. Joy took her to Dr. Jealous over to Fryeburg. She is suffering a lot with her back. He told her that her hip was out of joint. He put it back, that makes her feel better, but she has got to be so careful. Kimmy to the movies last night, tonight she is gone to Portland with a group of school kids to the YWCA to swim.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment