The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, June 2, 2021

October 27 - 30, 1978

Friday, October 27, 1978

 

A quite nice day, on the cold side. Delores, Susan and I went to town. I came home, put some clothes and other summer things away, washed curtains etc.

 

 

 

Saturday, October 28, 1978 Cow Bred

 

A very nice clear sunny day after the clouds cleared away. I done my regular work, washed floors, changed beds etc. Then we cleaned the breezeway, I washed, clothes dried good. Billie did a few odds and end jobs. Then went with Lawrence to get some cattle home from the pastures. Bill worked at Walt’s. They got the barn cellar ready for the dirt and cement.

 

 

 

Sunday, October 29, 1978

 

It dawned clear and cool this morning. On the windy side. I washed my garage and breezeway windows on the outside. Bill and Billie put the plows on and plowed some. David and Dorothea were up today. Margaret Clark called and brought the picture of the house over.

 

 

 

Monday, October 30, 1978 began hauling dirt for barn

 

A beautiful day. I done regular wash and work. I went down to Betty’s to see the barn. Fern was there. I helped Betty to do some odds and end jobs. We looked at the Bridgton book. Very interesting. Today Ronnie Robinson hauled dirt for the barn at Walt’s. Bill helped him as much as she could with the tractor.

 

Poppa

Daddy

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment