The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, June 10, 2021

November 28 - December 1, 1978

Tuesdat, November 28, 1978

 

It was not so cold when we got up this morning. 20 above. We have had very cold temperatures is past week. I done regular work, made a tapioca pudding. Betty called, brought over some beehives from Joy’s for Kimmy to paint for Walt’s Christmas. Bill gone to town all a.m. I did a ironing.

 

 

 

Wednesday, November 29, 1978

 

A very nice sunny day. I done the regular work. Did a wash. We went to get some apples but had closed for the season. Betty called. She and Walt had an appointment with Zak’s teacher. It was very encouraging. Zak has a 120 IQ test, above average. He does very good work except too hyperactive.

 

 

 

Thursday, November 30, 1978 Mabel

 

It snowed last night, but clear today after the fog raised. I worked at my desk. Today they took Mabel to the hospital by ambulance. She had had a very bad stroke. Her condition is serious tonight.

 

That Time Again........












 

 

 

 

Friday, December 1, 1978

 

A nice sunny mild day. I washed windows, dusted, went to town in early PM. Betty took us today. I came home, done a few odd jobs then watched the 2 TV soap operas and got supper. Mabel about the same.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment