The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, June 13, 2021

December 9 - 12, 1978

Saturday, December 9, 1978

 

Well we had snow, rain and the works today. I done my regular work. Made a pie for bake sale, also a cake. They done fair at the shelter. A miserable day. I was busy all day. Dorothea up late in PM. She went to the senior play with Joy’s folks. Billie put up the outside lights and candles today.

 

Birthday Party for Susan Rager









Edie Guyer at Bake Sale

Party for NHF at Harrison Grange Hall


 

 

 

 

Sunday, December 10, 1978

 

It has been a very bad cold windy day. Snow blowing around. I done my work and some washing. Carmen called. They sold quite a lot at shelter yesterday.

 

 

 

Monday, December 11, 1978 15 below

 

I did my wash and hung them out. They froze. Then he went to town with Betty and Dawn then down to Betty’s in PM. Helped her to clean up her house. Bill worked on refrigerator.

 



The Refridge from Poppa

 

 

 

 

Tuesday, December 12, 1978

 

A quite nice day. I done up my work. Went to Portland with Betty. Took Kim to the orthodontist for her teeth. Joy and Betty and Laurie finish their shopping. It was quite late when we got home at 5 PM. Dorothea took Fern and Dot to see Lloyd. Dorothea called at Bill Walker’s. Bill worked on Betty’s refrigerator. I done a big ironing early this morning.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment