The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, June 22, 2021

January 9 - 12, 1979

Tuesday, January 9, 1979

 

A nice clear day and it was very pretty. Just like a deep-freeze outside with all the ice all over the trees and everything. I done my wash. I got some of the clothes in today or about 4 PM. They sure didn’t dry very good. Jerry Knapp and Dobbins went rabbit hunting, when they came home they lost their dog. He came back about 3 times looking for him. Then about 10:30 PM he came back here. Jerry came over and got him when we called. Nekie, (Actually Tiki), Zenya’s horse, came over to Betty’s in PM. They had hard work to get him.

 

 

 

Wednesday, January 10, 1979 Cold this morning

 

It is beautiful today. Ice all over the trees. I done up my regular work. Bill and Ilan gone fishing for the first time this year. They got home about 2:30. Betty went down and got Fern, she came up about noon for the rest of the day. Lloyd is about the same, better than he was last week. I did a big wash today.

 

 

 

Thursday, January 11, 1979

 

A very pretty day. About 4 below when we got up. It was nice and sunny all day. The ice is still on the trees and it is very pretty. I done my regular work. Got a few things that were in the washing machine washed. I went to town with Susan. Came home, did some ironing. Watched TV programs. Bill went fishing, he and Ilan. They got home about 2 PM. Fern called Andrews Home tonight, Lloyd not so good tonight. She, Betty and Joy went over to see him.

 

 

 

Friday, January 12, 1979 14 below 0 this morning at 5:30 AM

 

This has been a cold day. I done my regular work then I washed the windows, dusted, did a dite of cooking. Bill put the radiator in. Betty called in PM. Lloyd very weak.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment