The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, June 1, 2021

October 23 - 26, 1987

 

Monday, October 23, 1978 MILKED

 

Well I did a big wash and cleaned my bedrooms and bathroom. We got a little rain shower. Betty washed my windows all on the outside. Bill worked on or built a couple of ramps out here in the garage for Betty Johnson’s place on the Lake. Fern did a dite of bowel movement today.

 

 

 

Tuesday, October 24, 1978 PERMANENT 1ST PULLET EGG

 

A beautiful day. I done up part of my work and did a big ironing. A dite of wash. Went to Barbara’s at 9, got a permanent. Came home, busy all day. In evening Dorothea came up to say goodbye to the Deming’s. Billie to Betty’s for a spaghetti supper. Dorothea and I called down there. Then Betty, Dorothea and I went down to Fern’s in Betty’s NEW car. Dorothea liked it very much. Fern had a couple bowel movements and is better except upset about Esther leaving.

 

 

 

Wednesday, October 25, 1978 ES and CLIFF, egg

 

A very nice sunny day. Es and Cliff up early and on their way to their home in Eustis Florida. I cleaned my living room, cooked a boiled dinner. Had Fern up for supper. Betty called in evening a minute. She took Fern home. We got another pullet egg today. Bill worked at Walt’s.

 

 

 

Thursday, October 26, 1978 cleaned kitchen

 

It was cloudy and some rain showers. Bill down to the camp. I cleaned the kitchen. Betty to coffee group. Bill down to Betty’s in PM to do some more on the barn cellar.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment