The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, June 7, 2021

November 16 - 19, 1978

Thursday, November 16, 1978

 

A very nice sunny day, not very warm. Betty, Kim, Joy and I to Portland. Kimmy to the orthodontist and got the braces on her teeth. We all went Christmas shopping. Also Dorothea went with us. Had good luck. Didn’t get home until quite late.

 




 

 

 

 

Friday, November 17, 1978

 

It was nice and sunny today in a.m. but it clouded up in PM and after dark it began to rain. Hope we get a lot. I went to town. Delores, Susan and I. Came home, defrosted my refrigerator, down to Betty’s, we wrapped gifts. I came home, got supper. Bill worked at Betty’s all day. Kim up after school. Kim didn’t get a very good rank card. I hope she does better next time. Zak’s was awful.

 

 

 

Saturday, November 18, 1978 WALT’S WOOD in

 

It was kind of cloudy. When they got ready, Bill and Billie, and went down to Walt’s. They helped him and got all the wood in. I did some washing, cooking, did the floors and a lot of other jobs. Carmen called today. We had a good rain last night and showers early this morning. The New Hope Farm member’s are having a supper tonight.

 

 

 

Sunday, November 19, 1978

 

A real nice sunny day. I did odds and end jobs. I dite of ironing, did some windows. Wrote to Esther or answered her letter. Bill and Billie didn’t have much to do either. Betty and Kim came in the evening and brought some popcorn. We called on Fern’s for a minute. Kathy and Kimmy call today. They did very well on the supper last night.

 

 

 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment