The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, June 8, 2021

November 20 - 23, 1978 Thanksgiving, Debbie Hurt

Monday, November 20, 1978

 

It has been very cold all day. I did the wash. They dried, I got them in and ironed and put away. I have done a lot of work today getting ready for Thanksgiving. Bill worked at Betty’s today. Betty away in PM. Fern down to Betty’s and washed.

 

 

 

Tuesday, November 21, 1978 SNOW, HAIR SET

 

It was quite a day. I done up work, down and got my hair set. I done some cooking in PM, wrapped more gifts. Betty and Susan to Portland, also Joy went with them. We had a dite of snow when we got up this morning. Carmen got a good rank card from school. Dorothea to the Dr. for her lame shoulder. Dr. put it back in place, it is much better. Her skin disease is hopeless I’m afraid.

 

 

 

Wednesday, November 22, 1978

 

A beautiful day. I finished all my cooking and work I had to do to get ready for tomorrow. Bill finished putting Walt’s wood. I had good luck with the cooking. Last day of school until Monday.

 


Bunkhouse

 

 

 

 

Thursday, November 23, 1978 Thanksgiving day, 20 and less, DEBBIE GOT HURT

 

Very cold. It dawned sunny and clear this morning, very pretty. It began to cloud up later, at dark the snow began to come. It snowed all evening with an accumulation of about 2 inches. Snowing hard when we went to bed. We had a nice Thanksgiving, they all enjoyed the dinner and visit. Walt, Betty and children and Fern were here. They watched the parade in New York City. After dinner Joy and family called. Men folks watched the ballgame and Fern. Had a good time. Carmen and Kim had colds. Joy and Buddy got word after they got home that Debbie had got seriously bitten by her Doberman pinscher dog. Was taken to NCM hospital than to MMC in Portland. That spoiled their day.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment