The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, June 23, 2021

January 13 - 16, 1979 Lloyd Died

 

Saturday, January 13, 1979 LLOYD BAD

 

Well we got snow last night, also rain and some rain this morning. A dreary day. I got Bill’s breakfast that I went down to the eye Dr. (Dr. Gordon) with Betty. Zak got new frames for his glasses. I got mine straghtened. We got a call from Andrews Nursing Home. Lloyd is very weak and bad. Carmen came up for breakfast this morning. Kim came up and put rest of the puzzle together.

 

 

 

Sunday, January 14, 1979 LLOYD P YATES

 

A rainy day. I done my regular work. Washed kitchen floor. Keith called. Today about 1 PM Betty got a call from Andrews Nursing Home. Lloyd died. Billie, Joy, Betty, Susan and I all was with Fern. She was quite upset even though she had expected it. It is a big relief to her and all of us. He has had a very long sickness. It would have been 2 years the first day of March that he had been over there. It’s too bad he had to be sick so long.

 

 

 

Monday, January 15, 1979

 

I did a big wash. Fern and Betty went to town. I made macaroni and cheese for Betty and myself. Also a pudding. I have been busy all day. Billie and I went down to Fern’s in evening.

 

 

 

Tuesday, January 16, 1979 LLOYD’S FUNERAL

 

A quite nice day. I went down to Barbara’s to get my hair set early. Came home. Carmen and Laurie came. They went to the funeral with Billie. Bill and I went, we took Susan. It was a quite a good size funeral. Many friends and relatives. Fern did very well. After the funeral all went down to Fern’s for coffee, cake etc. Fern was pleased all the people were there. His flowers are pretty. He looked very nice after so much suffering and for so long.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment