The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, June 3, 2021

October 31 - November 3, 1978 Strolling Thru The Woods

 

Tuesday, October 31, 1978

 

Another very nice sunny day. They finished hauling dirt for the barn of Walt’s. Bill helped in the forenoon. In PM Walt had a bulldozer come and level it all off. Halloween was exciting tonight for the kids. A lot of them called. Kimmy down town. Carmen came up here for a little while after supper.

 

 

 

Wednesday, November 1, 1978

 

A nice clear day. On the cold side. Betty and I took a walk down through the woods in a.m., 1st time we had been down there for many years. It is so pretty down there. Came home. I watched my programs. Bill and Billie finished the plowing and harrowing. Also sawed rest of the wood up to the shelter. I did a dite of wash. Billie not working until Monday. He is going to finish up all the odds and end jobs.

Nanny in pants!!






Looking for Spruce gum


Freya and Heidi

 

 

 

 

Thursday, November 2, 1978

 

A very nice sunny day. It is still very dry though. Need RAIN. I done up the work. Bill and I went to Norway to get a part for the car. Done a dite of shopping. Went to see Lloyd. Then had dinner at Barjo’s for the anniversary. A gift from the kids. Came home, down to Betty’s and done her chickens. Billie cleaned them out and put the new pullets in.

 

 

 

Friday, November 3, 1978

 

I got my work done early. Bill down to the camp in a.m. After mailman came Bill, Delores and I went to town. We went to Fern’s, got her money check etc. Done a lot of business. Checks came today.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment