The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, June 24, 2021

January 17 - 20, 1979

Wednesday, January 17, 1979

 

A cloudy day after some sunshine in early a.m. I washed. Got ready, went down to Betty’s, helped her then went to town. Came home and down to Betty’s again. I finished cleaning up her house, she took Fern to Paris to get Lloyd’s clothes etc. It began to snow in late PM. Zak up here for his favorite hotdog supper. He loves them. He is a very kindhearted little boy.

 

 

 

Thursday, January 18, 1979

 

A big storm late night and today. Schools etc. canceled. Quite a day. School and SAD 61 canceled in PM. I done my regular work, washed floor. Bill plowed, he got the clothes in off the line.

 

 

 

Friday, January 19, 1979

 

A quite nice day. I done up my work. Betty, Joy and I went down to Fern’s. We looked over the boxes we took back home. We are going down to help her put Lloyd’s clothes away. Also talk over some things with her. Today Betty and I went to a school play at Zak’s school. It was a very good program (short). We enjoyed it all very much, also Vince was the stage manager. Those kids all done so well. I love going to school programs. We called at Fern’s later.

 

 

 

Saturday, January 20, 1979

 

A real nice sunny day. It clouded up in late PM. I done regular work, cooked, cleaned up the house etc. Billie down to Fern’s. Zak and Walt called in PM.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment