The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, February 12, 2021

September 6 - 8, 1977 Back to school

Tuesday, September 6, 1977 PAT MOVED, SCHOOL

 

Today the first day of school. I got up early, went down to see the kids off to school on the first day. They looked very nice in their new clothes. They were quite nervous. It has been a nice day. I stayed at Betty’s, helped done her work etc. Today Pat came to Joy’s and got all her belongings and a $5000 payment and left no trouble. All went smooth. Neil was on the cross side. Now after Pat signs the release all is Joy’s. It is very pleasant and a beautiful place. Es, Cliff and Fern called after supper. Carmen had quite an exciting day, her first day of high school. Kimmy got on the wrong bus. Zak did okay. Bill and Billie worked on the shed. Billie got the lumber and roofing.

High school Freshman- 9th Grade

First day of Jr. High - 6th Grade

2nd Grade(?)


 

 

 

 

Wednesday, September 7, 1977 a beautiful day, Wolff girls left

 

This is been a very nice clear early fall day. I got up early, went down to Betty’s. She left to take Joy’s girls to the airport. Joy will go a week from today. Joy is so happy and relieved about the business at her house. Pat is gone at last. I came home, did a wash. Betty and I called at Joy’s. Fern, Susan and Es were there. It seemed good. Cliff helped on the shed today. I hope he don’t get sick again. It is awful down to Betty’s. All those tiny kittens. She is licked, no way can she feed all those mouths and keep them content or to grow on. I’m sick. I pity the little kittens so.

 

 

 

Thursday, September 8, 1977

 

Dorothea and Joy finished cleaning the house (Joy’s) today. It looks very good. I was down to Betty’s today and helped her.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment