The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, February 3, 2021

August 2 - 4, 1977 Billie Gets Inheritance From Chet- RED LETTER DAY!

Tuesday, August 2, 1977 A very nice day, $1000.00

 

This is been a red letter day. Today Billie went to Les Dudley’s office. He gave him a check of $25,000 from Chet’s estate. He made many donations. $1000 to me, $500 to Bill, $100 each to Walt, Betty, Carmen, Kim and Zak. $100 to Jeffery. 100 each to Dorothea and David also. He paid Bill his $3000 he used to buy the tractor and paid Walt back the $1000 he loaned or gave him when he bought his first tractor. It has been a very nice day. Billie got the chicken yard up. Bill covered the house roof with tar paper. I called at Betty’s. Phyllis and Cindy Smith came today.

 

 

 

Wednesday, August 3, 1977 $227.40, $99.70

 

I was late getting the work done. I did a dite of wash. Betty, Zak and I out on the lot. Then Betty and kids here for dinner or lunch. Betty looked Chet’s stuff over. I got the dishes washed them Betty and I went to town to shop, a dite. Came home, got supper. Kim stayed until after supper. Carmen gone with Joy’s folks all day. Bill and Billie worked on the tie up today.

 

 

 

Thursday, August 4, 1977

 

I done up the work, was going to Shaw's early to shop but Betty’s folks lost two dogs so we didn’t get started until after they were found which was way after 11. Just Betty, Kim and I went. Betty did a lot of grocery shopping. I did quite a lot too.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment