The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, February 26, 2021

October 23 - 26, 1977

 

Sunday, October 23, 1977 NO RAIN

 

A BEAUTIFUL DAY. We got up this morning and it was very sunny and nice. Wind still blowing. I got the breakfast, made the beds. Billie said he was going over to Norway and going around looking for cattle. Fern and I went. We went to Buckfield and up to Woodstock, West Paris and Paris Hill. A very pretty ride. Fern enjoyed it all very much. Called to see Lloyd, he is very weak. Got home, Dorothea called. She took her pictures to show Kay. Mr. Saltman called. Walt worked on living room.

 

 

 

Monday, October 24, 1977 a beautiful day

 

I got my work done up. I did a big wash. I washed all the windows on the outside, garage one inside and out. I got ready, went to town with Betty. I cooked a boiled dinner for tonight. It was very good. Billie went with Lawrence all day. Bill worked at camp. Betty, Susan, Monica and I up and got milk.

 

 

 

Tuesday, October 25, 1977

 

A very nice day, sunny and warm. I got up, done most of my work, got ready and went to Portland with Betty and Carmen. Carmen went to the doctors for a checkup. She is in real good shape, her back is doing okay. Her weight is down. Fern went with us. We went out to the mall. I had a good red flannel hash for supper. Billie hauled bedding and covered the strawberries. Bill worked at camp. I did a big ironing early this morning.

 

 

 

Wednesday, October 26, 1977

 

Bill worked at Barnaby’s. Walt worked on his living room wall. I washed. Billie hauled manure and worked on the leaves. On the cool side. I washed all the windows on the outside and most of them on the inside.

 


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment