The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, February 24, 2021

October 15 - 18, 1977 Surprise party for Aunts Fern and Esther

Saturday, October 15, 1977

 

Well it rained again all day. I did the kitchen anyway. I got that done. Bill and Billie here all day. Kids up in PM a little while.

 

 

 

Sunday, October 16, 1977

 

It is a little better this morning. Very damp outside. I did a dite of wash. It dried quite good. It clouded up in PM. We had a birthday party for Fern and Esther at Fern’s. They were surprised and happy. Thomases, Hortons, Ragers , Demings, Yates and Babbitt.

 






 

 

 

 

Monday, October 17, 1977

 

Had a very heavy rain and high winds all night. Today it has rained and a very miserable day. I been doing some odds and end jobs today. Billie outside doing what he could. Bill did not work today. Walt went to work. I went down to Betty’s in PM, looked at her Elvis Presley things.

 

 

 

Tuesday, October 18, 1977

 

This is been kind of a good day, enough warm sun so I got my clothes washed and dried. Also all my ironing done. Billie worked outside putting things away for winter. Also shut the water off etc. It seems so good to have such a nice day. Bill worked at camp all day.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment