The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, February 1, 2021

July 26 - 29, 1977

 

Tuesday, July 26, 1977 cold and heavy winds, DAWN AND WALT BOUGHT BOB SMART LOT

 

Billie worked on the fence all day at Walt’s. It has been a cold windy day all day. Zak up here for the day. Bill didn’t do much, his back is lame. I did my wash. Billie and I went up to Chet’s tonight, we got a couple boxes I wanted. It will be the last time Billie will ever have the key to that place. Dudley called for it, as the deal will be made tomorrow.

 

 

 

Wednesday, July 27, 1977 Fern dizzy

 

Not quite so windy. I did a big ironing. I defrosted my refrigerator in the kitchen. I washed a few things, also I went down to Betty’s. She and Dawn picked peas and beans and we froze them. I got them ready. Dawn stayed there all night. Also Kathy, Kim and Cindy stayed over in the tent. Stan Harman came and helped Dawn with some house plans for her new home. Fern in bed all day, very dizzy.

 

 

 

Thursday, July 28, 1977

 

I done regular work, down to Betty’s a little while. We walked out on to their lot a little ways. Betty went down to Dawn’s in PM. Bill and Billie finished the fencing down in Walt’s new pasture land. I went to Paris with Esther. Lloyd just the same. Fern still dizzy. I called tonight, she is a dite better. I talked with Dorothea.

 

 

 

Friday, July 29, 1977 DOROTHEA 40 years, Betty and Walt’s anniversary

 

A quite nice day. Warmer than it has been, no wind. I done my regular work. Down town today. I came home and washed and done a lot of other jobs. Betty and Walt gone away for overnight for the wedding anniversary. Billie put the finishing touches on the fencing at Walt’s. Joy came over to Betty’s to stay with the kids. I called three in the evening.

 

Castine Maine




Touring the Maine Maritime Academy





 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment