The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, February 25, 2021

October 19 - 22, 1977

 

Wednesday, October 19, 1977 Bill working

 

Another one of those cloudy rainy miserable days. I done a lot today. Got ready and supper prepared for company. Billie took me to town. Bill worked at Barnaby’s. I went down to Betty’s in PM. She and Walt were tearing out the back wall. Billie hauled out Walt’s wood to saw. Fern, Es and Cliff came about five. I had supper all ready to put on the table. Baked sliced ham with milk. Squash, cream cheese over cauliflower, boiled sweet potatoes and regular potatoes. Grilled English muffins, Indian pudding, whipped cream, brownies and coffee. They had a nice evening and we all enjoyed it.

 

 

 

Thursday, October 20, 1977

 

Rain as usual. I done up my work, went down to Betty’s and Fern came up. We made applesauce. I had a picked up supper. Billie busy all day. Bill worked.

 

 

 

Friday, October 21, 1977 Fern’s Birthday

 

Another partly cloudy day. I done up my work. Went to town. Then when I got home I did a big wash. Billie down to Walt’s, they started on the wood sawing. Betty and Carmen and Zak helped. I went down in PM. Dorothea came and got Zak. He went down to stay at Dorothea’s for a couple nights. Kimmy done the housework at Betty’s. Those cats and dogs have made an awful mess of things that Betty’s. I’m sorry to see them taking over. No one can keep the place clean. It is bad for Carmen in more ways than one.  Hard on Betty too. Bill worked.

 





Whippet

Aaron

 

 

 

 

Saturday, October 22, 1977 ES AND CLIFF LEFT FOR FLORIDA

 

Well it was quite a nice day, some rain showers. Sunny all PM. Es and Cliff left about 8 AM for Florida this morning. Glad I want going. Billie up and got chores done and down to Walt’s to finish the wood. They got it done in late PM. Fern up here in PM and for supper. Also Susan and children called. Bill down to camp for a while, didn’t do much. He helped to get rest of that wood sawed at Walt’s. Kimmy went up to Dawn’s for the night, she fixed Kimmy’s school clothes.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment