The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, February 6, 2021

August 13 -16, 1977 Elvis Presley Died

Saturday, August 13, 1977

 

A nice day. We got up in good season. Dorothea done the work. I made a cake, got my beans in and washed then we got ready and went up to East Stoneham to the Hillside Cemetery, then we got some dates there and then called on a Helen Grover, talked about the old folks and got some dates etc. Came home, got supper started and called at Weldon’s. Came home, had supper. Dorothea left at about eight to go home.

Angel and a still nursing Flicka

 

 

 

Sunday, August 14, 1977 Lorrie and Carmen

 

It rained when we got up, but it cleared and became hot. I done up my work, frosted a cake, washed kitchen floor. Got ready and we went over to Carlton’s for a family gathering. Had a very good time. Carmen and Lorrie left this PM to go to Bangor. Up to Susan Nevers. They went to a rock concert, coming home tomorrow by bus. Betty, Joy and I took them to meet the plane.

 

 

 

Monday, August 15, 1977 a beautiful day, on the cool side, Carmen and Lorrie

 

I done a wash. I cleaned up the house. Bill and Billie picked the shell beans. I got them picked over, shelled and canned. Went down and helped Betty. She, Joy and I got her kitchen, back porch, all rest of the house cleaned up also the cellar and the deep-freeze. Today Carmen and Lorrie came back. They had a ball. Betty moved the cats out today to get them out side. Kim and Cathy to town to shop for Betty. Billie mowed for Lawrence. Es called in evening. Carlton’s family called at Betty and Walt’s.

 

 

 

Tuesday, August 16, 1977 ELVIS PRESLEY

 

I did a big ironing today. Also did a lot of other odd jobs. Bill and Billie worked in the tie up. I washed out some things for Betty today. New Hope Farm shirts for one thing. Elvis Aron Presley died this afternoon. He was coming to the new Civic Center in Portland tomorrow. He was a music fan loved by everyone the world over.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment