The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, February 21, 2021

October 3 - 6, 1977

 

Monday, October 3, 1977 $227.40 $99.70

 

On the quite cloudy side with some rain showers off and on. I done regular work. Wrote out the store list. Billie took Delores to town. Bill worked at camp. In PM Billie took Fern, Esther and I for a beautiful ride up through the Fryeburgs and on to Conway New Hampshire, Effingham, Freedom, Porter, Kezar Falls, Brownfield, Denmark and home. The leaves were beautiful. Came home and Betty and Milan got here about 2:45. I got a steak supper. Talked, looked at pictures till late etc.

 

 

 

Tuesday, October 4, 1977

 

A quite nice day. I rushed around and got my work done. Got ready and went to Shaw’s grocery shopping etc. Came home, had a roast pork supper. Milan and Betty rested today. Bill didn’t work at camp.

 

 

 

Wednesday, October 5, 1977

 

A beautiful mild sunny day after cloudy start. I did a big wash. Betty and Milan over to see Sadie and Anna. I defrosted my refrigerator. Heidi ran away with Brandy. We found her at Fern’s. In evening all the family came and we had a nice birthday party for Betty. We had a nice time. Dorothea was very entertaining, talking, telling of different things of the past etc.

 

Aunt Betty with Carmen, Kim, Zak, Vince, Chris and Monica

 

 

 

 

Thursday, October 6, 1977 Betty Smith’s birthday

 

Rain in a.m. It cleared in PM. I didn’t get up very early. I got breakfast, Billie and Milan went down to the cottage to help Bill move some things. Then when they came back we went up to North Fryeburg to get some squashes. Then we drove over to Madison Boulder in Madison New Hampshire. The largest rock or single boulder in the country. Came home, ironed, made an upside down cake, biscuits, got a good chicken dinner.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment