The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, February 8, 2021

August 21 - 24, 1977 Nanny had 3 teeth pulled

 

Sunday, August 21, 1977

 

A beautiful day, clear, sunny on the day cool side though. I done up my work. Worked on a few loose scraps. Went down to Betty’s, they tried to sell the rest of the rummage goods. Billie worked outside cleaning up, making things look nice. Bill grouchy all day, done nothing.

 

 

 

Monday, August 22, 1977 Cloudy

 

This is been a very rainy day. Very heavy rain at times. I done my regular work. Bill and I took Carmen to town to shop for Betty. I done some reading to get caught up on. Betty over to Mrs. Vose about some furniture. Joy talked with her lawyer.

 

 

 

Tuesday, August 23, 1977

 

Fair on the cool side. I did a wash. Joy called and Susan. Betty and kids gone away. Kim still at Dawn’s. Joy is upset about the problem with Pat. Bev Kosiba resigned from New Hope Farm today. I was down and looked at the things Betty got from Mrs. Vose. I bought a set of dishes.

 

 

 

Wednesday, August 24, 1977 I had three teeth out, showers in PM

 

I done some ironing and rest of work. I went to Mechanic Falls to a Dr. Curran and had three teeth out. When we came home Bill stopped to see Lloyd. He was quite out of it. It rained hard in PM.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment