The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, February 27, 2021

October 27 - 30, 1977

Thursday, October 27, 1977 cow, calf and painted living room

 

Bill worked at camp most of the day. Betty and Dawn came up and they painted the living room walls. A ivory, they looked very nice with the new curtains. Fern came up, she is very upset and depressed. Billie went with Lawrence. They shifted the cattle. Lawrence bought the Rhône heifer and brought Billie a dark red Durham steer. At night he and Lawrence went down to Allen Renfrew and Billie bought a very nice durham two-year-old milking heifer.

 

 

 

Friday, October 28, 1977

 

A very nice pretty day. I got up early, did a big ironing. I washed windows, cleaned rest of the breezeway. Susan over here and looked at the Florida pamphlets, cards etc. Billie took me to town to shop. Bill finished working at the Barnaby camp. The new cow is awful home sick. She milks good. Carmen went to a slumber party, she was here for supper.

 

 

 

Saturday, October 29, 1977 Another Beautiful Day

 

I got up early. 6 AM. I did my cooking, I got several breakfasts. Bill down to the Crawford cottage working. Zak came up early, had breakfast and watched cartoons. Billie mowed leaves, done chores and went with Lawrence in PM. Walt worked on the chimney or fireplace wall. I washed, washed floors, some windows, took bath, made bread and rolls. Kim up in PM and for supper.

 

 


 




 

 

Sunday, October 30, 1977

 

Another very nice sunny day, on the cool side. I done regular work. Bill helped Walt. I looked over some Waterford town reports so I can get them put away. Billie didn’t do much. Kids up in PM playing with the skateboard. Betty and Carmen called in evening. Carmen to a supper and dance last night.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment