The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, February 11, 2021

September 2 - 5, 1977

Friday, September 2, 1977

 

A quite nice day. I done up my work and went down to Betty’s. We picked over the kids clothes and put the new school clothes away. We got ready and went to Shaw’s to shop. Betty, her three kids and me. Carmen up here for supper and she and Laurie stayed all night. Bill and Billie still working on the shed.

 

 

 

Saturday, September 3, 1977

 

Rained in early a.m., it cleared right out and was a very nice day. I done my regular work, made bread, rolls, baked beans. Washed kitchen floor. Carmen and Laurie here for the night last night. Betty up to Joy’s. Billie called to see Lloyd while over to Norway. Billie bought the roofing mat for the shed. They went down and got the post for the shed and got it ready.

 

 

 

Sunday, September 4, 1977

 

A nice sunny day. I didn’t do much, just regular work. Dorothea and David came up. Bill, Billie and David worked on the new shed. Dorothea and I went down to see it. Betty went away. Dorothea and I up to Joy’s in PM. Susan, kids were there. They took Gabe and Ebony back to Joy’s today. It has been a nice day. Betty got home about 7 PM. Joy called in evening.

 

 

 

Monday, September 5, 1977 cloudy, showery most of day

 

This is been a nasty showery wet day. I washed a few things and put on the line. Esther called. Bill and Billie worked on the shed a dite. I got some clothes picked over and ready to take. Didn’t see a thing of the Hortons until late PM. Zak came up. Betty and kids away again today.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment