The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, December 7, 2019

May 5 - 7, 1973


Saturday, May 5, 1973 FENCED

Cloudy most of the day but rained only in the morning and late in p.m. Billie worked at Betty and Walt’s to help fence. Carmen and Kim out with the cleanup crew in town. In p.m. Kim came up here. I did cooking today. Esther called in PM. In evening Dorothea and David called. Bill got rest of the ceiling up in the room downstairs. He did a good job. Esther took me to town after supper. We called to see Jean. She was better than last night.



Sunday, May 6, 1973

Cloudy and showery all day. Billie, Betty and Walt got a lot more fencing done. Bill worked down cellar. I put up the paneling outside. I helped some. Lloyd called today. Billie tired out tonight. He is back to normal now. His bowels. Carmen and Kim up today.



Monday, May 7, 1973

A beautiful day. Bill, Betty and I to Portland. Did a dite of shopping. Betty got a rug and some new curtains. I got a few groceries. Bill and I down to see Jean. She is sleeping very heavy. Billie worked at Betty’s again tonight fencing. Kennard still very lame. Lloyd not very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment