The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, December 13, 2019

May 24 - 27, 1973


Thursday, May 24, 1973

A nice day. Bill painted the living room walls and we cleaned the room. It looks much better. It seems good to see the sun.



Friday, May 25, 1973 BILL WORKED AT BARNABY’S COTTAGE

Today Bill worked at Stewart Barnaby’s cottage. Betty, Esther and I did the kitchen cupboards. I went to town. Billie worked. He is having his trouble again. Bowel. Kim up here to stay all night and will sleep in the new room.



Saturday, May 26, 1973 Sunny

A nice day. I done up regular work, went to town and down and got some plants for the Cemeteries. Carmen went with us. About noon Betty, Walt and Zak left to go to Walt’s sister and brothers in Connecticut and Rhode Island. They visited Walt’s mother’s grave. I did the rest of the big cupboards and the draws in the kitchen. Did a dite of washing. Kim went down to stay at Dorothea’s.

Jeff and his Prom date





Sunday, May 27, 1973 PLANTED

A sunny day. It was cool and a damp air from the south. I washed, the clothes dried pretty good. I cleaned the electric stove and the china closet draws. Got supper. We went down to Betty’s doing chores. Bill and Billie planted the garden. We went to the cemetery with plants. Bill, Carmen and I. Stanley called in PM. Betty and Walt got home about 9:30 tonight. They had a good time. I’m glad they went.

No comments:

Post a Comment