The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, December 27, 2019

July 15 - 18, 1973

Sunday, July 15, 1973

Showery in early a.m. It cleared late. Bill and Walt worked on the barn. Betty had a cookout, Yates, Crooks and Hortons. It was nice. I didn’t do much today. I went down to Betty’s and helped her to get ready for a cookout. Billie drove Fern around down to Betty’s to see the new barn, chickens etc.



Monday, July 16, 1973 A Beautiful Day

I washed, did a lot of odds and end jobs. Getting ready for company coming Friday. Kids up. We got the rug up from downstairs and washed it. Bill worked at Betty’s, Lloyd up. Betty had a dog come to them. She called the police and they found the owners.



Tuesday, July 17, 1973  Peas, Carmen caught a trout

A very nice day. Betty, Zak and I went to Norway. I came home, done a lot of work. Kimmy went down to Martha Coombs for lunch and the afternoon. Then down to Dale Graffam’s for the night. Carmen and Zenya went fishing. Zenny don’t have the cast on her leg anymore. Carmen caught a trout. She brought it up and gave it to me for my supper. It was delicious. We had our first mess of peas.



Wednesday, July 18, 1973 Bill worked

Partly cloudy. I done up my work. Betty, Zak and I to Dorothea’s. She went with us and we went shopping for me today. We enjoyed it, we went to Kmart at Falmouth and to Monmouth Mart, Bradlees and Martins. Bill worked at Walt’s. Billie began his trimming. Esther called in evening, also Zak and Kimmy. Kimmy came home from Dale Graffam’s after being there all night. Walt finished shingling the new barn.

Ebony checking out the barn



No comments:

Post a Comment