The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, December 18, 2019

June 13 - 16, 1973 Summer Vacation!


Wednesday, June 13, 1973 Bill worked on barn

Showery all day, some sun and very humid. Betty and I over to Norway for a little while in forenoon. Came home, I went down to Betty’s while she helped Bill. But Maryanne came. I came home, defrosted refrigerator in kitchen. We had another very bad windy and very heavy rain. I got a chicken (fried) supper. I washed and ironed clothes after supper. Bill and I took a couple cards to the post office. Ken and Lloyd’s birthdays. Bill got some more of the flooring down, not too much though. Cleared off tonight after supper. This is the last whole day of school for the school year.



Thursday, June 14, 1973 Bill worked, Kennard’s birthday 72

A beautiful day. I done up my work. Went down to help Betty. Dawn called. Betty went to Portland with Maryanne and came home with Walt. Carmen to school all day. They came up here after school.







Friday, June 15, 1973 SCHOOLS CLOSED, Bill worked at Walt’s $75, Lloyd’s birthday 72

Some sun today most all day. It looks like it might rain tomorrow. I was down to Betty’s a little while, she mowed lawns. Bill worked down there on the barn. More lumber came. Today schools closed for the summer. Carmen goes to the fifth grade, Kim goes to the second grade. Zak went to school to visit today. He has such a good time. He looked so cute all dressed up. I made a lemon meringue pie today, but the rug did not come. They say it will come on Monday. I got all ready for it. Junior Hatch and Rand called in evening.






Saturday, June 16, 1973 RAIN

It rained hard all day long. I done regular work, baked beans, made bread. Billie and I went down to Dorothea and David’s. Made a visit, he took his pants down for her to fixed. Called at Betty’s a minute. Bill took me to town. This was a long dreary day. Walt worked in forenoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment