The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, December 16, 2019

June 5 - 8, 1973


Tuesday, June 5, 1973

Today it rained. It was cloudy and miserable all day. Bill worked at Betty’s some.



Wednesday, June 6, 1973

I cleaned the breezeway. It was a cloudy dreary day. I helped Betty clean up the playpen today. Bill worked some down there.



Thursday, June 7, 1973 WJHS band concert Jeff

Cloudy and showers. I went down to Betty’s. Bill worked on the barn foundation. Betty helped them. Kim home today from school. She didn’t feel too good, tired out. Lloyd called to see what Bill is doing. Tonight Betty, Fern, Esther and I all went to Westbrook to the Westbrook Junior High School concert. Jeff was in the band. It was very nice. We enjoyed it so much. He looked very nice all dressed up. We was very proud of him. We visited at Dorothea’s afterwards for a little while, talked on Ouija, had a snack. I look forward each spring going to that concert.




Friday, June 8, 1973 A VERY HOT HOT DAY, Bill worked at Walt’s, $50 Walt paid Bill

Well today was a beautiful day. It was hot all day and sunny. I worked at Betty’s. She mowed lawns. I also did my washing here. Betty took me to town. Betty helped Bill. Esther and I went to Karen Joyce Smith Hunt’s shower. Called a fire shower. She got a lot of nice pretty useful things. It was a surprise to her. We had a good time. She and I went to the cemeteries. Then she called here a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment