The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, December 17, 2019

June 9 - 12, 1973


Saturday, June 9, 1973 HOT AGAIN, Bill worked at Walt’s, B and W got there beef today

Today was another hot day. I dite of clouds around. Showers went around today. I did a little more washing. Billie helped Lawrence to get cattle. Also Betty and Walt had a beef come. Bill worked at Walt’s on the barn foundation. Cliff helped too. Carmen called also Kim and Zak. Esther here too. I did a big ironing. This is been our second nice day.



Sunday, June 10, 1973 Bill worked at Walt’s in a.m.

A beautiful day, sunny and hot yet there was some good breeze. Bill and Walt worked on the barn. I washed, did some ironing, made a cake. Got ready, went down to Betty’s about one or 2 PM. We had a cookout and Fern, Lloyd, Es and Cliff were there. Bill was very tired tonight.



Monday, June 11, 1973 HOT, BILL WORKED

A nice day, very hot. We are getting good weather to grow the garden. Hot day and night. Bill worked on the barn at Walt’s today. Betty, Esther, Zak and I went to Portland. Got home about 2 PM. Esther over here tonight. Billie, she and I down to see the barn. Went for a little ride. Stanley called after supper.



Tuesday, June 12, 1973 HOT, Bill worked at Walt’s, ROOT BEER

Another nice hot humid day. We like them. I finished garage windows and washed rest of the house windows on outside. Lloyd called. I went down to Betty’s, we did the root beer today for the first time. We picked kids school clothes over. Washed them. Bill worked on the barn. About suppertime we had a very heavy winds blow and a shower. Rained very hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment