The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, December 22, 2019

June 29 - July 2, 1973 Jeff Leaves For Michigan


Friday, June 29, 1973 RAINED HARD all day

What miserable weather. It rained hard all day. Bill worked at Betty’s doing the windows for the barn. Betty and I picked over the slides. Billie came from work because of the rain came into the building. They are trying to get a roof on it. I went to town. Billie got his first full week’s check for over a month. A raise included. $79



Saturday, June 30, 1973 JEFF LEFT TO GO TO HIS DADS HOME

Another miserable rainy day. I made a cake, bread, baked beans. Kim here today. She enjoyed being here. Bill worked at Walt’s a little while. It rained so hard most all day. I done rest of my safe. Tonight or late this p.m. Jeff left about 4:55 PM to go to his father’s in Michigan. Dorothea and Alice saw him leave. Dennis, Sue and Dawn met him in Detroit. Betty and I didn’t go to see him off this time.





Sunday, July 1, 1973 Bill worked at Walt’s

It didn’t rain much today but it was a cloudy dreary day. Bill and Walt got the rafters on the barn. Lloyd called. Carmen called. Billie went with Lawrence. I didn’t get up till late and done just regular work. Esther and Cliff called at Thena’s. We are having thunder, lightning but as yet no rain.




Monday, July 2, 1973 Phyllis and Cindy, Linda and Amy came

Cloudy and foggy in a.m. Betty, Zak, Kim and I went to Portland. I did shopping for things I needed before the company comes. Called at Dorothea’s, she wasn’t feeling too good. It was very hot and humid. Today Betty, Kennard, Esther and Billie Deming met Phyllis and girls in Portland at the jet port. This past weekend with all the heavy rains it caused floods in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. Many people lost their lives.

Betty,Kim, Kennard, Cliff, Esther holding Zak, Delores and Carmen





No comments:

Post a Comment