The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, October 4, 2019

September 9 -12, 1972


Saturday, September 9, 1972

Had rain showers, nice and mild most of the day. After the shower it cleared and became colder. I made two pies, bread, rolls and baked beans. After supper I went to the races at Oxford Speedway with Esther and Cliff. Bill worked at Walt and Betty’s today. Betty got the kids rooms all settled and moved them back into them.



Sunday, September 10, 1972 Kids Carmen, Kimberly and Zackary slept in their new bedrooms tonight, Jeff came up today

Very windy and cold. I done up my regular work. Carmen went home early. Zak up here for the day. Billie finished sawing wood up to Chet’s. Bill down to see Ms. Helen Jones about some work. Took TV up to Rados. He watched ballgames in p.m. Esther came over, spent the p.m. and here for supper. Dorothea, Dave and Jeff came for a little while. First time I’ve seen Jeff for two months.



Monday, September 11, 1972

A nice hot day. I worked at Betty’s. We did her shed chamber. Bill worked there on the windows on the outside and painted all around them. Carmen had to sleep up here last night because of new paint.



Tuesday, September 12, 1972

A beautiful day, very mild. Betty, Zak and I went shopping for Zak’s birthday. We took Vince and he had a good time. We got him a couple of toys. Bill finished up all except the doors at Betty’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment