The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, October 5, 2019

September 13 - 16, 1972 Zak's 3rd Birthday


Wednesday, September 13, 1972 Bill worked at Jean’s

It was cloudy today and began raining in late p.m. I worked at Betty’s. We did top of the barn, her bedroom and got moved back in there. Bill worked at Jean’s. The doors came today, at Walt’s for the bedrooms.



Thursday, September 14, 1972

A beautiful day. I worked at Betty’s. Bill worked there also. She and I got all cleaned out to the kitchen. Walt home early, they hung the new doors.



Friday, September 15, 1972 Zak 3 today, Hot


A very nice day. Bill worked at Walt’s. I worked down there, we did part of the kitchen. In p.m. Betty, Zak, Esther, Monica and I went to North Conway to get curtains etc. I got my groceries at Shaw’s. Came home, got supper.














Saturday, September 16, 1972 $75.00

A nice day. I worked at Betty’s. We got rest of the kitchen done. The whole house is done and looks nice. Walt worked upstairs. Billie mowed lawns, cleaned up around etc. In evening after supper we went to Betty’s for Zachary’s third birthday. He got a new bike and money and many toys. Yates, Demings, Thomases, Crooks and the Horton family. Dorothea made the beautiful birthday cake. Bill mowed Betty’s lawns.


No comments:

Post a Comment