The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, October 10, 2019

October 3 - 6, 1972


Tuesday, October 3, 1972 Bill worked at the cottage

I washed and ironed today. Another nice day for the Fair. Stan went to the hospital. I made some brownies. Howie Doney called and Lloyd in p.m. This has been quite a mild day.



Wednesday, October 4, 1972 Bill worked at the cottage

A beautiful day. I did a dite of washing. Down to Betty’s. Done my regular work. Esther is having a hard time with those kids. It is too hard for her, the kids are good.



Thursday, October 5, 1972

Another beautiful day for the Fair. It was a little foggy in early a.m. Bill and I went to Fryeburg Fair. Billie better, he cleaned up the old dead flowers outside. Had Lloyd come and haul a mess to the dump. Hortons up in the evening. Esther got a call from the bank and Susan can’t get the money for the house. Now what??



Friday, October 6, 1972 Billie back to work, Bill worked at Walt’s

Billie back to work after being home for a week. Betty, Fern, Zak and I went to Locke Mills to get a catalog Betty wanted. I done regular work. Kim up here in p.m. and stayed all night. No school today. Robinsons horses got out, they caught them and Billie told them they could put them up here for the night. Carmen not feeling good and they took her to the doctor for a checkup. It was a virus. Stan came home today.

No comments:

Post a Comment