The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, October 17, 2019

October 31 - November 3, 1972


Tuesday, October 31, 1972 Caught the hen

A nice day. I had a touch of that flu. I did my washing and washed the garage windows. Bill worked at Betty’s, they painted the ceiling, woodwork and floor in the living room. Today Bill, Betty, Fern and Lloyd caught the wild hen.



Wednesday, November 1, 1972

Bill and Betty finished papering the living room. I helped them some. It was cloudy in a.m. but cleared off. Living room looks very nice. Billie don’t feel at all good. I wish he would go to get help at the doctors.



Thursday, November 2, 1972 Zak to Lewiston to Dr.

Cloudy and rainy. Betty took Zak to a doctor over in Lewiston. Urologist. I done regular work, it rained some. I went down to Betty’s before she went. In p.m. we went up to Waterford and got some apples at Fillebrowns. Fern is sick with flu or such. Susan came home today. She took her kids and went back over to Denmark. I hope she will be good to her children.



Friday, November 3, 1972 Bill worked at Gordon’s, thundershowers

A cloudy dreary day. Betty went to Portland. I washed windows. Did a dite of washing. About noon today we had a bad shower. Lightning and thunder. It rained hard and the wind blowed hard. Kids up after school to bring the nets home. I made a applesauce cake and chicken pie. Billie not too good.


No comments:

Post a Comment