The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, October 18, 2019

November 4 - 7, 1972 Nixon Reelected


Saturday, November 4, 1972 Bill worked at Gordon’s

Cloudy today but very very cold. I done up regular work. Bill worked in a.m. at Gordon’s. Billie didn’t do much. Lloyd called and Betty. Betty and Carmen raked their leaves. Walt put the louvers on his house. Kim up in PM. Bill, Kim and I went for a ride. Billie and I cleaned the inside of the cars and washed windows. Fern better.



Sunday, November 5, 1972 Snow on ground this morning

This morning when we got up a light covering of snow was on the ground. It snowed lightly all most of the day. Lloyd called and Betty and Walt and Zak. Kim took her bath and shampooed her hair. I done up regular work, cooked up pot roast and the custard. Billie up to Chet and Lil’s in p.m. A long dreary day. Carmen has a cough.



Monday, November 6, 1972

Cloudy. Betty and I went to Portland and did some Christmas shopping. We went to Dorothea’s, she kept Zak which was such a help. I was late getting home. Esther over tonight.



Tuesday, November 7, 1972 PRESIDENT NIXON

A very nice day for the election. Today president was reelected. I done up my regular work, got ready, went down to vote early. Esther went with us. Came home, went down to Betty’s a little while. We looked over the things she got yesterday. After lunch she and I went to town etc. We saw Judd while we was in town. I got my clothes in and ironed, done other odds and end things. Had supper early. Then went down to Betty’s while they went down to vote. Then came home and watched election returns. Bill worked at Gordon’s in p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment