The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, October 26, 2019

December 5 - 8, 1972


Tuesday, December 5, 1972 Cold

Not a very good day. I done regular work and worked on Christmas cards etc. I went to town, real cold.



Wednesday, December 6, 1972 Permanent, Apollo 17

Cloudy and heavy rain all day. I went to June’s and got my fall permanent. Came home, got supper. Bill down to Jean’s to help her fix roof. Tonight Apollo 17 took off for the moon. It was at night and there was a large crowd there at Cape Kennedy to see the blast off. It was a very spectacular colorful site. We saw it on the colored TV. This will be the last trip to the moon for this decade. It will be in another century when they go again.



Thursday, December 7, 1972 Sun shining this morning

This has been a beautiful day. I done up regular work and washed. To Norway with Betty in a.m. Bill finished his birdhouse for Jean. I called at Esther’s in evening.



Friday, December 8, 1972

It was a cloudy dreary day and about 4 PM it began to snow. I worked on Christmas packages etc., ironed. Carmen up here for supper and to stay all night. Esther called at Delores’s today. Bill took the birdhouse down to Jean’s. She liked it very much. I went to town today.

No comments:

Post a Comment