The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, October 6, 2019

September 17 - 20, 1972


Sunday, September 17, 1972 A Hot Day

Didn’t get up till about seven. Got breakfast, did regular work. In p.m. the Horton’s came up. We cooked an eye roast of beef on the rotisserie, had corn on the cob cooked over the grill. A very nice dinner. Hortons, Yates and Crooks. It was a very nice hot day.



Monday, September 18, 1972 Hot

A nice sunny day. I washed rest of my washing. Done up the work and got ready and went down to Betty’s. Esther and Fern were there with Monica, Susan’s baby. She is a pretty little girl. We picked and froze Betty’s shell beans. It was hot. Bill worked down there. In p.m. I went to North Conway. Betty did her grocery shopping.



Tuesday, September 19, 1972 Cloudy in a.m.

Bill down to Jean’s and the cottage. Zak and Betty called. I did my ironing.



Wednesday, September 20, 1972

A nice day. I did some washing. Bill and I took the phonograph down to Dorothea’s. Her house looks so nice. She was very pleased with it. Came home, got supper. Betty called on Lil.


No comments:

Post a Comment