The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, October 20, 2019

November 12 - 15, 1972


Sunday, November 12, 1972

Cloudy all day, I done up my work. Got ready, went to Portland with Betty to see the show Brother of the Winds. Dorothea went with us. Kim and Carmen enjoyed it. It was very cold. Came home at about six, we had oyster stew.



Monday, November 13, 1972 Bill worked at Gordon’s

Another cloudy dreary day, it rained today. Betty and I to Portland. We did Christmas shopping and grocery shopping. Esther went with us. We had a good time. We went to the new Playmart Shopping Center at the Maine Mall. Value House, Zayre’s, Child World etc.



Tuesday, November 14, 1972

A cloudy dreary day, very cold. Today began to snow. It accumulated fast. Wind blowed by time we went to bed we had about 6 inches. I checked over Christmas list etc. Bill worked in a.m. at Gordon’s.



Wednesday, November 15, 1972 Snow, cleared and sunny this morning

Our first snow came last night and the ground is white. This is what we will see for the next six months or so. It began snowing late p.m. yesterday. Bill plowed out the driveways with Walt’s tractor. I worked in my bedrooms, washed windows and floors etc. Zak up here in the morning. This was a beautiful sunny day. Bill didn’t work. Bill don’t have to go out anymore nights plowing. I’m glad about that. It was so hard for him because of his lameness all the time etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment