The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, October 30, 2019

December 19 - 22, 1972


Tuesday, December 19, 1972

Cloudy and stormy. I went down to Betty’s. We done some odds and end jobs. She cleaned Pa’s apartment. I did some washing and dried some things of mine. Came home and did my ironing. Watched TV in evening. Kim came up after school. Carmen to Girl Scouts. Es and Cliff over in evening, they brought us a cake and apples for Christmas. Bill down to Jean’s. He is lame, has a cold.






Wednesday, December 20, 1972

Still cloudy and light snow. I went down to Betty’s, we cleaned her stove. I came home, cleaned my bedrooms and we got ready, went to New Hampshire to get some gifts for Pa. We called at Dawn’s, saw good old Judd. He is happy. Had a nice visit with her and the dogs.



Thursday, December 21, 1972

A sunny cloudy day, down to Betty’s. We cleaned up the house etc. I did a dite of washing in p.m.






Friday, December 22, 1972

I went down to Betty’s. We put the finishing touches on her house for Christmas. Tonight she had company for supper. Marianne and Errol Briggs. I went to town in late p.m.


No comments:

Post a Comment