The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, October 12, 2019

October 11 - 14, 1972


Wednesday, October 11, 1972 A HEAVY FROST, Bill worked at Walt’s

A beautiful day. We had a very heavy frost last night. It was quite cold early this morning. Milan and Betty left to go to visit friends in Gardiner. I went down to Betty’s for a little while. I had the kids up for supper. Betty and Zak to Portland and had a supper out with Walt. They bought a very pretty TV for Betty’s kitchen, a Christmas gift. I washed, did my regular work. Bill painted the hall.



Thursday, October 12, 1972 Bill worked at Walt’s $50

A very nice day. I done up my work. Went to town in a.m. to shop, Betty took me. Bill finished up the hallway and the rugs looks very nice on the stairs. Walt paid Bill $50.



Friday, October 13, 1972

A partly cloudy day. Bill down to the cottage a little while. In p.m. down to Betty’s and fixed other little hallway. Fern called at Betty’s in p.m. I did my work. Milan’s folks came back from Gardiner, where they visited friends.



Saturday, October 14, 1972 Cold

A partly cloudy and sunny day. On the cold side. Milan and Betty left for home. I went to Westbrook with Betty, Walt and kids. Then I went from there into South Portland, The Maine Mall, where the famous Clydesdale Horses were on show. Budweiser beer of Milwaukee. They are beautiful creatures. Came back to McDonald’s, had hamburgers. Fern, Lloyd went too.












No comments:

Post a Comment