The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, July 26, 2024

May 31 - June 2, 1990

 

Thursday, May 31, 1990

 

A nice sunny day. I done up regular work. Billie’s therapist came this morning. Betty came and got me and took me down to see her house, it looks so nice. All cleaned and fixed up all over and her private quarters up in the apartment. I came home and read the papers etc. Betty and Betty gone to camp to clean. No word from Zack as of today.

 

 

 

Friday, June 1, 1990 Zak home again

 

A fair day, kind of on the cloudy side. It is quite warm temps. I worked at the desk on checks etc. Carmen and Bro came at about noon. I didn’t do much. I did a washing. Carmen didn’t do much business today. Walt gone all day. Betty busy. Zak is home, no good came of that trip. Dorothea and Susan called this evening. Dorothea looks a lot better and feels much better, but the medication is awful for her. It is doing her some good though. Jason came and mowed the lawns.

 

 

 

Saturday, June 2, 1990 HOT

 

This has been a sunny day, hot. I done up regular work. David didn’t come down, he is busy at home. I done up regular work. I made a chocolate cake. Betty and Walt been up to New Hampshire to get the paper, came home, done odd jobs. Up to camp working. In evening over to Zak’s place. He is getting ready to get his house built. Susan is busy getting ready to leave tomorrow for Ohio for Chris’s graduation. Monica to the prom tonight in Portland. Carmen up to Bethel for more plants.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment