The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, July 25, 2024

May 27 - 30, 1990

Sunday, May 27, 1990 Zak gone to get work

 

Very nice sunny day. Walt up for coffee. Carmen and Brogan came. Betty dropped in a minute. Walt all shook up because of Zak’s situation. He had a long talk with him and results. Zack gone out on his own. I hope he succeeds. I read some magazines today.

 

 

 

Monday, May 28, 1990 got a call from Zack

 

Another very nice sunny day, very mild. I did a wash and puttering jobs. Up to Kim’s for lunch. A surprise. Betty, Walt, Brogan, Carmen and I, very nice. Then Betty H, Betty S, Dorothea and I all went to all the cemeteries. It made Dorothea feel better to get out. Saw Susan Ingraham’s two grandchildren up to Kim’s. Carmen did well at her market today. We talked with Zack tonight. He seemed happy enough. Had a nice trip out there. He was in Albany New York leaving for his destination early in the morning, he said. I was very glad to hear from him. Carmen here and talked with him also and Billie said hello to him. Over to Zak’s place today.

 

 

 

Tuesday, May 29, 1990

 

Kind of a rainy day. Mrs. Herring called and done Billie. I did washing today. I made a pudding. I made a pudding. Also another nurse came and took care of Billie.

 

 

 

Wednesday, May 30, 1990

 

A clear sunny day but awful cold and windy. Carmen gone to Portland to get things to sell in her stand. In PM when she came back she put Brogan to bed here. She slept all afternoon. Carmen over and got more asparagus. No word from Zack. Walt gone all day doing soil tests etc. I did the ironing.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment